UPDATE: We have hired.
We are the little business that could. We are as chuffed as we are exhausted. So we are hiring.
POSITION: Front of House
DAYS: Saturday and Sunday
A bit about us
We’re it; pashing pair Lincoln Donaldson and Amanda Gonzalez (me). Lincoln heads the coffee side of the business, and I, the food.
My parents (the shouty, excitable Spaniards you may have seen around at the weekends) have been helping us find our feet. Now that we’ve found two very sore pairs, it’s time to spread our wings and hire a wingman.
A bit about The Brooklyn Tuckshop
There’s not much to The Brooklyn Tuckshop, really. Not because we haven’t put much thought into it – quite the contrary – but because we want our food and drink to speak for itself. We use the least refined of everything (shock horror, we don’t serve skim milk), and we’d prefer to prepare a shorter menu to the highest of standards rather than an extensive menu that’d be, frankly, ordinary at best.
We make as much as we can with our hands (think ice cream, granola, sausage rolls), and what we can’t make with our own, we have others make with theirs (think jam, chutneys and honey).
This also means that we’re not about convenience, or speed, or shortcuts. If we’re not everyone’s cup of tea, we know we’re on the right track.
A bit about the job
You’ll be one of three, so your duties are integral to the success of our little business. In terms of actual duties, we’re looking for someone to:
- take orders and payment at the till (we use Vend on an iPad) and handle cash and EFTPOS payments
- allocate the orders (aka Post-it Notes) to the barista and cook
- handle the sourdough sales
- wait tables
- help stack and empty the dishwasher
- clean (such as wiping down tables and benches, sweeping the floor, etc)
- stock consumables (such as making sure we have serviettes in the drawer, the sugar jars are full, etc)
What we’re looking for in a person...
The duties outlined above are the easy bit, really. What we’re mainly focused on is your work ethic and attitude. We’re looking for someone who:
- enjoys meeting all sorts of people – even the grumpy ones
- takes pride and responsibility in each and every task – if you’re wiping down a table, then make sure you wipe it down to the best of your ability
- genuinely enjoys learning, and is always looking to improve, both themselves and their role
... and what we're NOT looking for
Someone who’s afraid of making mistakes.
No, you won’t lose your job if you stuff up accidentally. If you don’t make mistakes, it means you’re not trying hard enough. We’ll be right alongside you, failing forward together.
Someone who rocks up, ticks the boxes, and goes home.
Remember, it’ll be the three of us. We really do need to work together to grow this little business. This means that we all need to be thinking of better ways to do things. Some of your ideas will be crap, others will be brilliant. Don’t be afraid to think aloud.
Someone who can’t commit to Saturdays and Sundays every week.
We know working weekends can be a bit annoying sometimes – which is why this job won’t be suitable for everyone. If these days don’t work for you, please don’t apply.
We’d prefer if you had some hospitality experience, but we’re willing to overlook this if you’re a great fit. The only mandatory requirement is that you’re able to work legally in Australia.
Award, plus increases based on performance.
How to apply
Applications to be emailed to email@example.com as a PDF or Word document. Please include:
- A cover letter (maximum 600 words) addressing the points raised in this ad
- A one (A4) page summary of your employment history
- Contact details for two referees (one professional and one personal)
Please note that because of the volume of applications, if yours doesn't address the above criteria, it will not be considered.